List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] Job Opportunity on the MOSES Team
From:       "Maxwell, Douglas" <douglas.b.maxwell () us ! army ! mil>
Date:       2014-04-29 17:53:49

Good Morning All, there is an open Post Doctoral position on the MOSES Team.  I have \
identified two areas of research for this position and applicants must specify which \
research topic they wish to concentrate on.  The Post Doc funding and HR will be \
handled by  Oak Ridge Nat'l Labs, but the work will be performed onsite in Orlando, \
Fl.  This is a paid position, relocation assistance may be approved, and insurance \
benefits are provided.  The position also includes travel responsibilities.

Both areas of research are related to technology advanced needed to support \
distributed simulation based training applications.  Specifically with automated load \
balancing and independently running collaborative clusters.

Topic 1 deals with an investigation of the creation of a physics cluster that can \
automatically detect and reallocate computing resources based on demand.  This \
cluster is envisioned to be a pooled resource, rather than coupled with a specific \
simulator instance.

Topic 2 is a more generic and involved total simulation load balancing.  Currently \
the simulators require scenario examination and resource planning before deployment.  \
Also many system including Open Simulator have static terrain limits.  I'm looking \
for automation of the allocation of resources based on user behaviors.

In practical terms, imagine having a distributed scene graph that can automatically \
reconfigure itself by adding or reallocating computing resources based on user \
behaviors.  We'll also need a good name for this new system.  Skynet has a nice ring \
to it....

Useful URLs:
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
https://www.orau.org/maryland/default.html

Topic 1
Distributed Physics Integration
http://goo.gl/1tki0x

Topic 2
Dynamic Allocation of Compute Cluster Resources
http://goo.gl/d4MZ5c

If you'd like a better idea of what we do in the Orlando Research Park, a consortium \
of Military/Industry/Academic partners called "Team Orlando" has produced a short 6 \
minute video on our activities.  This video may be useful to you in the future.

http://youtu.be/IxHlEN0KjXc

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone interested in applying.  Good \
Luck!  v/r -douglas

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209
NEW DoD Email:  Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@mail.mil<mailto:Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@mail.mil>