List:       opensim-users
Subject:    Re: [Opensim-users] bin/OpenSim.db-journal file begin written and deleted many times
From:       Dahlia Trimble <dahliatrimble () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-29 11:10:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

That long shut down has really nothing to do with the translate scene
command and everything to do with using Sqlite on a high object-density
region where a lot of objects had changed. Sqlite has been extremely slow
as long as I've used OpenSim, so I don't believe it's a new issue. I'm not
sure of the meaning of the journal file but it's name suggests it may be
doing some transaction journaling which can be deleted after a transaction
is complete. I'm also not that familiar with the database layers in OpenSim
but I'd think that if it was using transactions it would be a good thing as
they can protect database integrity in the case of a crash or other failure
during an update.

I use Sqlite for some high-prim regions and it's horribly slow. I just use
the "backup" command while the region is still running so it can persist
while the region is in use. Either that, or I tell it to shutdown and then
go out for a walk or something.