List:       opensim-users
Subject:    Re: [Opensim-users] Is an event such as on_die() be a needed counter part to on_rez()?
From:       Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-15 21:16:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello Justin,
This is one situation where having an an on_die() could be useful. Let us
say we have a linked object, with a root script that contains the llDie()
command. This llDie is triggered by some third party object through some
trivial say-listen 'talk' protocol. Now, we can have multiple other scripts
in the children of the object with the llDie command. These other scripts
might need to do specific things if they knew that the llDie command is
being triggered in root.  These other scripts can be informed about their
imminent demise, which can be done through llMessageLinked to all children
.. I see a lot extra internal communications needed here before the linked
object dies.

Where as state_exit() for eg works well. I could have a code to execute on
state_exit() in a child script, and a different piece of code to execute on
a different state_exit in a root script. This seems to work well. So when I
take the linked object back into inventory, the various commands to be
executed on state_exit() work as expected. I was just thinking it would be
great if there were a similar on_die() event.
Ramesh

st