List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] The Overte Foundation for	OpenSimulator
From:       jjustincc () googlemail ! com (Justin Clark-Casey)
Date:       2011-06-30 22:20:05

On 30/06/11 14:19, Mike Chase wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 09:21 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > As I'm sure everybody on these lists is aware, OpenSimulator currently has some \
> > restrictions on who can contribute code to the project \
> > (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Contributions_Policy).
>

> > In order to grant a copyright license there needs to be a receiving entity. To \
> > this end, we are in the process of setting up an organisation known as the Overte \
> > Foundation. The Overte Foundation will receive the copyright licenses and become \
> > the official distributor of OpenSimulator rather than individual core developers. \
> > This will put it in a good position to deal with code origin or other issues, if \
> > any should ever arise.
> > Once the CLA is complete, the current contribution restrictions to OpenSimulator \
> > will be removed. It will be down to each developer (including core developers) to \
> > affirm via the CLA that they have the necessary rights over the code that they \
> > are contributing.
> > One advantage of going down the foundation route is that it will also be able to \
> > promote and support OpenSimulator in other ways, quite possibly incorporating \
> > members of the community other than just developers. The foundation could also \
> > extend to cover other open-source virtual-environment/virtual-world projects and \
> > components. In the short term, though, we will be concentrating on establishing \
> > the CLA.
>

> > I will be acting as the first Overte Foundation president, with Diva as \
> > treasurer, Melanie as secretary and Nebadon and Ben as initial board members. The \
> > foundation itself will not directly control OpenSimulator development - this will \
> > remain with the OpenSimulator team and community as it does now.
> > Discussion about this is very welcome, whether supporting or critical. I'm \
> > logging off now so will likely answer any points tomorrow. Of course, other core \
> > developers are very welcome to chip in.
> > Best,
> >
> Justin and team, I think this is a great move and a good start. There are a number \
> of people who have been unable to contribute to the project and hopefully this will \
> address this abiliity.

Thanks for the encouragement from you and other folks.  Organizing this kind of thing \
isn't easy but hopefully it will  pay off.

> I would like to add that an excellent additional goal for the foundation would be \
> to produce and maintain a roadmap for the elements under its care. Perhaps even a \
> process for how a project is included, how it moves between stages, etc.
> For OpenSim itself I think the project has suffered a bit with the "perpetual \
> alpha" status and discussion towards and the publishing of a roadmap that moves it \
> out of that state and into some more mature state would be welcome personally by \
> me. Of course the work is still done by volunteers but if this move increases \
> contribution level and the foundation leadership shares vision in the form of a \
> roadmap you may find these new contributors willing to pitch in to make that vision \
> a reality.

Historically, I haven't been keen on a roadmap because there's nobody who can enforce \
that its goals will be met.  Everybody's interests are quite different and there's no \
single company employing developers.  I think it's tricky to  set targets in that \
kind of environment, unless they're completely 'aspirational'.

> Those kinds of things of course take time. But I'd hope they could be considered. \
> In the meantime congratulations on what I see personally as an excellent first \
> step!
> Mike

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog