List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Configuration file sample for aide-0.9 on Solaris 8 and others
From:       Andrew J Caines <Andrew.J.Caines () wcom ! com>
Date:       2002-11-19 18:34:31

Michael,

> > I haven't had a chance to see if it's working yet, but I notice the
> > package doesn't include a sample aide.conf.
> > Would contributed platform-specific files be welcome?
> I'm not sure how "platform-specific" you could get.

The usefulness of a tool like AIDE is pretty much proportional to the
details and accuracy of the configuration.

Ideally one checks every applicable property of every file which in any
way affects the proper operation of the system while at the same time
ignores every property of every file which doesn't. This ideal is of
course extremely hard to achieve on any real system and impossible to
generalise.

For an useful sample, just about everything changes depending on the
platform, which is to say that differences far outnumber similarities.

> Examples for aide.conf are in the manual page.

Yes, though for illustrative purposes more than as useful samples.

> If you have any ideas for an example, please let me know.

I'm working on a sample for Solaris 8 based aide.conf.sample from the
FreeBSD aide-0.9 port with additions for OpenPKG. If, after some testing,
it works well for me, then I'll share it. I'm also looking to see who has
already done a better job than I'm planning to do.

Since the FreeBSD port comes with a sample, that could be packaged without
further changes or with additions for OpenPKG.

FWIW, I'm no expert on AIDE or Tripwire configuration, but I've done it a
few times over many years and think I know how it works.

-Andrew-