List:       openpkg-dev
Subject:    [OpenPKG #77] Re: FSL not optimal? [comment]
From:       "Thomas Lotterer via RT" <openpkg-rt-comment () openpkg ! org>
Date:       2003-06-24 13:47:11

Request 77 was acted upon.
This is a comment. It is not sent to the Requestor(s).

     Subject: Re: FSL not optimal?
  Requestors: thl@openpkg.org
       Queue: openpkg
       Owner: thl
 Transaction: Comments added by thl
        Time: Tue Jun 24 15:47:10 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003, Thomas Lotterer wrote:

> [...] We understand that some people prefer to have a global system level
> logging and want to stick with the native syslog(3) facility.
>
>     So we decided to make fsl optional in the future
>     with default to use fsl.
>
> The packages will only be modified to omit fsl build and run-time
> requirements and remove fsl from the linker stage.

fsl is now optional with default yes, as promised [1]

> The predefined fsl
> configuration files and rc scripts will still be installed and cron will
> run the scripts to trim log files which stay empty forever. Some logfile
> analysis tools inside OpenPKG may fail with empty or not existent logs.
> The global syslog(3) must be configured separately and system logs will
> require manual trimming ...

keep this is mind!

The rc files, especially the (somtimes previously missing) parts
regarding log file trimming, were unified, too [2]

[1] http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=9922
    http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=9923
    http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=9924
    http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=9925