List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: OOo not always available in "Open with" list  (Win2000)
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-06-02 16:10:12

Herbert Eppel wrote:

> On 01.06.2004 19:35 UK Time, Tamar Granor wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:10:07 +0100, Herbert Eppel
>> <herb@despammed.com> wrote:
>>
>>>When I right-click on a Word (doc) file and the select "Open with",
>>>sometimes OOo is available in the list of applications that appear in
>>>the "Open with" window and sometimes it isn't.
>>>
>>>Any idea what is going on and whether/how I can rectify the
>>>situation?
>>
>> Are you sure that all the files in question have the DOC extension.
>> The Open With mechanism is based on the file extension.
>
> Yes, the files are definitely doc files. And I get all kinds of
> applications in the "Open with" list - it doesn't look as if the list
> is based on the file extension.

This may be a stupid question, but are the files saved as .doc files or
do you just add the .doc extension to a file saved with OOo?  If you do
that (not select a Word format for saving but just add the four
character extension -- dot + d + o + c), the file will be saved as an
OOo document and not as a Word document.

I'm guessing, but perhaps you don't have the associations set
completely (from the "My Computer" options).  I say that because I was
having a problem somewhat similar and discovered that the associations
on my system were only partly set to provide OOo as an option for all
relevant extensions.

--
Robert Black Eagle