List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Re: Something's wrong with my save function (or something)
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-06-02 16:06:24

wagj wrote:

> rbe wrote:
>
>>wagj wrote:
>>

>>>Started a new book about three weeks ago, and have had little but
>>>trouble with it.
>>>
>>>I used to be able to just hit F4 (the key I'd set for Save As) then
>>>hit return, and presto.
>>>
>>>Ever since I've started this book, I've had problems.  First, it will
>>>switch designations on me.  Instead of saving Chapter 1, I'm saving
>>>Notes.  Okay, I could replace the notes easily enough.  Now that I'm
>>>working on Chapter 2, however, I have a further problem.  It will
>>>quite frequently revert to Chapter 1, which then threatens to destroy
>>>all I've done so far.
>>>
>>>I've loaded and saved several other documents during this time, with
>>>no trouble.
>>>
>>>Is it possible that I've made some sort of setting in this particular
>>>document which causes a problem?  If so, does anyone know just what
>>>it might be?
>>>

>>I have been writing books using OOo for some years now and your
>>questions have me completely perplexed.  What are the problems you
>>have
>>encountered.  Please list them one at a time along with what you did
>>when the problem occurred.  "It will switch designations on me" means
>>nothing to me -- not at all.  What do you mean by "designations?"
>>What do you mean by "I'm saving Notes?"
>>
>>Let's get those two straight and answered and you may find your other
>>problems vanish.
>>
>>Are you using a Master Document format or something else?  Where do
>>you
>>see your "designations?"  I wrote a 68 chapter book and had some
>>problems, but nothing seems to fit with what you are describing.
>>
> All right.
>
> I have a notes file, named "aaanotes.rtf"  My first chapter was named
> "Dance-01" and was being saved, once in .rtf and once in .sxw.
>
> What was happening was that When I went to save Dance-01, on the Title
> line in the Save dialogue, it would be listed as aaanotes"
>
> Now that I'm working on Chapter 2 (Dance-02), when I start to save it
> it will sometimes be listed as aaanotes, or Dance-01.
>
> Worst of all, a new factor has occurred;  it is saving my files as
> zipped files (Dance-01.zip) and the contents, when I unzip them,
> contain an xml filer which can only be view in mozilla, and appears
> with all the xml markings.
>
> I, too, have completed at least ten book manuscripts over the years,
> with OO, and have never had this problem.

Hi, Jim.  I think perhaps the problem lies in the "*.rtf" file causing
some confusion. I have always kept all my documents (including notes)
in a .sxw format and changed them if I needed to send them in a
different format to someone else.  I assume you are using a Master
Document.

In my opinion, a lot of problems have been cropping up in recent
releases of OOo, especially for MD's, but also for naming and saving
issues in single documents.

I cannot understand how you save files as *.zip.  OO's native format
uses XML and saves in zipped format automatically (four separate files
zipped together).  Unzipping them gives a "contents" file that contains
the text with some formatting (I don't use that option).  I think maybe
you're using something overly complicated, but it seems also to be
highlighting a bug.

If there is nothing confidential about the files, I would suggest you
file a bug report on the OOo website and post the number here.  I will
certainly take a look at it and add my own comments.  You will likely
need to attach the files, describe both what you expect and what is
happening so the developers can understand it.  I say this because your
explanation still seems a bit mysterious to me.  If I had the files, it
would make it easier to understand what the problem is.

You may also need to explain just how you manage to save the files in
.zip format as that option actually does not exist in OOo.  If you are
just assigning the extension of ".zip", then the files are actually
saved in whatever default you are using and are not simple true zip
files, which may explain what you are seeing.

You can attach any extension you want to a file, but attaching an
extension will not have any effect on how it is saved.  In other words,
I can add ".doc" to the end of my file's name, but it will still be in
.sxw format unless I specifically tell the program to save it as a Word
document.

I would indicate how (that is in what order) you include each file and
what happens at each stage.  Cut out as much text as possible to keep
the attached files to a minimum that still illustrates the problem.

--
Robert Black Eagle