List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Japanese input with a non-Japanese PC
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-05-27 8:59:52

meomori wrote:

> Help!!!
> I installed OpenOffice.org1.1.1 in Window XP, not Japanese Window XP.
>   Apparently I need a Japanese editor for OpenOffice.  What editor and
> where can I down load?   Please let me know. Regards Masa

Believe it or not, OOo IS a Japanese editor, if you set OOo up right.
First of all, what is the problem?

My guess as to what is needed to fix it:

Go into Tools > Options > Writing Aids.  Make sure Asian language
settings are active, then close and reopen the Options dialog.  You
will see a large new item for Japanese.

Now go to the dictionaries and make sure you have the correct Japanese
dictionaries, thesauri, etc modules selected (if you don't have them
you can install them from the net using the dictionary installer).

Lastly, make sure the language section has a proper Japanese font
selected for each type of text you would want to print.

Note that you have done three things.  You have made sure that your
version of OOo actually suports Japanese.  You made sure that you have
the dictionaries so you can spellcheck in Japanese.  You have made sure
that OOo will use Japanese fonts.  Now you should be in business.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please let us know exactly what
problems crop up -- including messages, etc.

NOTE: The Japanese localization team has recently introduced a number
of important changes which should be available when 1.1.2 is released
-- in a few weeks at the latest.

Oh, yes.  One more issue: When you set up paragraph or character styles
(open stylist -- F11) and select "All" at the bottom of the dialog and
see what style is highlighted -- that is the paragraph or character --
or page or whatever you select at the top of the dialog -- that you are
using).  Now, under the "Font" tab, at the top right hand side, you
will see "Language."  Select Japanese if anything else is chosen,
otherwise the spellcheck will not work.

If you want Japanese as the default language for all uses, open a blank
document, make this last change (Language = Japanese), save the
document under File > Templates > Save and give it a unique name such
as 'Default - Japanese".  Now click on the new template and under
"Commands" select "Set as default."  You should be good to go.

--
Robert Black Eagle