List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: video artifacts in OpenOffice with SuSE Linux 9.0
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-05-27 9:05:24

Gerald Pine wrote:

> I have noticed a relatively minor, but somewhat annoying problem with
> OpenOffice Writer on my computer running SuSE 9.0.  Namely, video
> artifacts frequently are left on the screen after using a popup menu.
> The artifacts disappear if I scroll up on down on the display, so they
> are obviously not really in the document file.  I have seen a few
> references to such problems by doing a Google search on video
> artifacts,
> but I haven't seen any specific solution to cure the problem.  I am
> still using version 1.1.0 on most of my machines, so I don't know
> whether the problem exists on 1.1.1 or not, and I don't have a clue
> whether the problem is unique to my setup or to SuSE 9.0.  Is this a
> known problem with version 1.1.0 that has been cured on 1.1.1 or is is
> a known problem with SuSE 9.0?

The problem still persists in 1.1.1.  It is currently being improved as
it is a frequent problem in a great many situations.  It will be much
better in 1.1.2 and again in 1.1.3 (which I don't expect any sooner
than late Summer) but I suspect not completely corrected until 2.0.

Since 1.1.2 will be coming out soon, I would recommend changing to that
when it comes out.  Someone will surely mention on this list when it
does (or begin mentioning problems with it soon after), or you can
check every few days to see if it's available now.  1.1.0 was good, but
1.1.1 was a major improvement and 1.1.2 is a great improvement over
that.

For some inexplicable reason, minor upgrades in OOo tend to be
equivalent to major upgrades in the "update a month" programs.  Major
enhancements have appeared in each "minor" upgrade, but if you're happy
with what you have, don't bother until 2.0.  I write for a living, so
those "minor" upgrades are often major improvements for me.

--
Robert Black Eagle