List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] HELP NEEDED
From:       Juergen Helmers <helmerj () blobelsgi ! rockefeller ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-16 22:13:54

On Thursday 12 June 2003 13:52, Dorothea Armstead wrote:
> I purchase OpenOffice from Luxuriousity and received my CD this past
> week.  I did attempt to install the program but kept getting "the
> run-around" because everything the instructions told me to do was the
> opposite of what my program was allowing me to do.  I am running an HP
> Pavilion with 20 gb ram.  I tried to "deinstall" as per instructions so
> that I could reinstall, but my system (display\add/remove programs) told
> me the program "was already installed" and said NOTHING about remove.
> When I clicked "add", I got the message that I had to go back to my
> system to install - a vicious circle!  I am sure it is simply a matter
> of my lack of knowledge but I do NEED HELP!
>
> Thanks.

Hi!

from your comment I'm blindly guessigng you're running OO on a windoze machine
(display\add/remove programs) !??

Since it shows up in the lsit of installed programs I guess you actually have
it installed. Note:

You have to do a system install and then a user install. So click the "Start"
button > Programms > OpenOffice-folder>Setup and perform the user install.
This then allows you to actually use the application. Find moe help and
instructions to perform a successfull snstalltion in the manual that should
be on your CD.

If you run any other operationg system than a Windoze one the idea still apply
but you have to find the path OO was installed and run the setup app as a
user from that directory. If this means all nothing to you, you will give us
more (all the spec of you r machine and OS version of OO and so on) than the
cry for help.

Juergen

PS: You will be able to install and use the app you just have to know how to
do it. Bets we know all bout your setup and many people here will be able to
guide you all the way!!

- --
Juergen Helmers                 Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave. Box 168          New York, NY 10021
helmerj@leoni.rockefeller.edu   1.212.327-8896
http://leoni.rockefeller.edu