List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] OpenOffice Calc
From:       "Matt Needles" <mjneedles () asus ! net>
Date:       2003-06-12 6:04:44

> > Yes, Gerd, that is the same thing, but, as I said, it doesn't have
> > all the functionality that is in Excel's Pivot Tables (the Page
> > field area is missing) and no Pivot Chart functions at all.
>
> Sorry, but I just started learning more about OOo and it took some
> time to find out that there is a filter function at exactly the point
> where the Pivot-function of Excel is.

What version of Excel are you using? I was referring to Excel XP(2002).  The
field drop area at top left of a pivot table is called Page.  That is not
the same as Filter in OOo.  It is similar, though.  Here's an example:  If I
have a table with columns called Make, Type, Dept, MaintAmt, and choose to
put Dept in Row, Type in Column, MaintAmt as Average in Data area, Excel
will create a pivot table with those headings, and a dropdown list beside
each heading to allow one to select All, or any particular value in that
column as a filter.  If I add Make to the Row, then I can filter that way,
too. If I move it to Page, then the filter affects the entire Pivot Table
much differently.  The functionality is similar, then, to OOo,  but OOo
doesn't allow "All" as a possibility with the filter, except by removing it
entirely.

I'm actually working with Excel 2003, but functionality is same as in XP in
this area.

As for changing the data range, I don't see a way to do that,  except for
rebuilding the DataPilot.from the beginning.  You can add and remove fields
quite easily though.