List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] conditional page breaks and non-breakable blocks -- formatting for books, like XyWrite
From:       dave192 () burtonsys ! com (David Burton)
Date:       2003-03-04 12:57:17

Rats.  Thanks for the answer, Robert & Yvan.  (Not the answer
I was hoping for, of course.)

It looks to me like it wouldn't take much to make this work.
If there were just a few more "variables" exposed for use with
conditional text, then I think that conditional page breaks
could be simulated, by embedding a page break in conditional
text.  We'd need a variable with the current page number (so
that we could test for odd/even), and some sort of indication
of how far down we are on the current page.

This seems strange to me.  The PAGE variable (the total number
of pages in the document) is available for use in the the
condition-calculation for conditional text, even though the
number of pages in the document might depend on whether or not
the text is hidden -- which seems like a chicken and egg problem.
But there is no current page number or current line number
variable available, even though there would be no chicken & egg
problem for such variables, since they would only depend on the
part of the document preceeding the conditional text.

Oh, well.   :-(

-Dave

dave192@burtonsys.com (David Burton) wrote:
> > XyWrite (R.I.P.) had what they called a "conditional page break."
> > You could say, for example,
> >
> >   <PG 6.5>   (break if there is at least 6.5 inches of text on current page)
> >   <PG ODD>   (break if current page is odd-numbered>
> >   <PG EVEN>  (break if current page is even-numbered)
 . . .