List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    conditional page breaks and non-breakable blocks -- formatting for books, like XyWrite
From:       dave192 () burtonsys ! com (David Burton)
Date:       2003-03-03 12:48:28

XyWrite (R.I.P.) had what they called a "conditional page break."
You could say, for example,

  <PG 6.5>   (break if there is at least 6.5 inches of text on current page)
  <PG ODD>   (break if current page is odd-numbered>
  <PG EVEN>  (break if current page is even-numbered)

XyWrite also supported what they called "non-breakable blocks."
Non-breakable blocks would not be split by automatic page breaks.
Non-breakable blocks came in two forms.

First form:

  <NB n>     (keep next n lines together on a page)

Second form:

  <NB>       (marks beginning of a non-breakable block)
  <BB>       (marks end of the non-breakable block)

These two features, conditional page breaks and non-breakable
blocks, were very useful when laying out books, and much more
flexible than simple widow and orphan control.

I can't find anything similar in OpenOffice Writer's help.

I thought perhaps that inserting conditional/hidden text
containing a page break would work, but there doesn't seem
to be a "variable" that indicates how much text there is
on the current page (or how much room is left on it).

Is there a way to do something like this in OO Writer?

Thanks,

-Dave Burton   <dave192@burtonsys.com>