List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] modularized openoffice.org
From:       Anthony Valentine <amv () sbsalaska ! com>
Date:       2003-02-03 19:32:53

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 09:45, Walt Foster wrote:
> What is the problem with the open office the way it is?  Maybe I do not
> follow the understanding that I have read.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with OOo the way it is.  I
just had an idea and thought I would send it out and see what comes
back.

> I understand the idea of the modular approach.  It seems to me that is the
> way computers work.  To date....OpenOffice is the best one approach I have
> used, that is of 2303.

I am not an OOo developer, so maybe OOo is already written this way, or
maybe it's just a horrible idea. . . Criticism is welcome.

> Please rewrite a guiding statement for me.  So that I can better get a
> handle on the concept.

Personally, I love OOo, but I do find it to be slow and bloated with a
ton of features that I will probably never use.  Even from one use to
another my needs change; one day all I need to do is write simple memos,
the next I'm importing database tables into Calc to make charts for an
Impress presentation.

I think that the methodology behind the modularity of the Linux kernel
is a superb idea.  Compile in what you want, leave out what you don't.
Better yet, compile it all as a collection of modules so that code isn't
loaded until it's needed/requested.  Set it up so that you can specify
what modules to load a startup, so the functions that you use most often
are already there and ready.

Having it modularized might also make it easier for 3rd party developers
(OSS or not) to add functionality to OOo.  It could create a new
business model for companies; download OOo for free, but if you want our
cool new Quantum Mechanics Modeler, pay us $10.

Having it modularized might make it easier to debug and track down
problems.

Just some thoughts. . . Am I nuts, or is this feasible?

Anthony Valentine <amv@sbsalaska.com>