List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] mail merge
From:       "Matt Needles" <mjneedles () asus ! net>
Date:       2002-11-18 8:00:06

I was just testing this last night and when it worked, I emailed the result
to about a dozen addresses in my address book by mistake.  I can tell you
these steps:

1.  Setup a database that contains the mail-merge information.
2.  setup a connection to that database in Writer (Tools-Data Sources...)
3.  Create the text document and insert the fields from the database using
Insert-Fields-Other.
4. Execute the merge from File-Form Letter...
    a. Select the field to merge by (like an email address or name field)
    b. If you need to, filter the records of the database using the toolbar.
    c. Select the output method (Printer, Email or File)
    d. Click Ok

NOTE: I did this with the Email option, and it created the email files, but
did not fill in the fields from the database.  It worked perfectly using the
Printer option, however.  I might have done something wrong on the first
try.

Hope this helps,
Matt Needles.