List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: [webmasters] HELP!!!
From:       Jon Shorie <jshorie () medinaco ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 19:27:16

> on 5/29/02 9:17 AM, PaulWDeVry@aol.com at PaulWDeVry@aol.com wrote:
> > I am totally disgusted.  I installed Open Office 1.0 to try it out.  It
> > took over all of my Word documents and completely changed the margins,
> > tabs, etc. of each one to the point that it became frustrating to use it.
> >  I even tried to open each document in Word and re-save it, but it kept
> > reverting back to Open Office.  So I did a "remove software", deleted the
> > whole program, and now ALL of my Word documents are GONE!!!  Where are
> > they??  I want them back NOW!!
>
> Paul Watson

When you installed open office, it asked you whether you wanted to associate
MS Office files with openoffice.  You clicked yes for each type (word, excel,
etc).  IF YOU DID NOT WANT THE ASSOCIATION, THEN WHY DID YOU TELL IT TO DO
IT?  Have you ever installed a browser, or image viewer program.  This
behavior is the same as you would get if you install one of those programs.
There are several ways to fix the association issue.  Go into your file types
setting (It should be under either tools or folder options) from one of the
windows in my computer.  Then delete the association for .doc, .xls, and any
other file types that you do not want associated to the uninstalled program.

When you next click on a file type, it will ask you what you want to use to
open it.  Click on word, excel, or what ever you want to use.  You will also
be given the option to select always use this application to open the file
type.