List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    On open formats everywhere, was: UK National Health Service...
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2004-05-30 7:56:50

On Sat, May 29, 2004 22:02:26 PM -0700, cwsiv
(lynux@keepandbeararms.com) wrote:
> If its portable *nix devices the link below is a start.
>
> Neuros MP3 Digital Audio Computer:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7028 -- Marco Fioretti
> reviews the first portable hard drive player to support Ogg Vorbis
> playback.

Thanks for advertising :-)

I wrote that in August 2003. Since then, several more players have
entered the market. One thing to point out (I think I discussed this
in the article) is that it is misleding to look for "portable *nix
devices". What matters is "non proprietary formats and protocols
everywhere, from mainframes to portable devices... before even looking
to which SW they have inside".

The reason I got interested in Neuros is that they made possible to
listen to (maybe proprietary) music in NON proprietary formats,
without forcing the user to have a proprietary OS or decoder at home,
or music files stored in proprietary format.

A specialized MP3 player is only to listen to music. I don't care that
much if its sw is proprietary. But it should NOT force me to make any
part of my PC sw (with which I write, communicate, create)
proprietary.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it

Knowledge is not information, it's transformation- Osho