List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Lao team for OpenOffice
From:       Louis Suarez-Potts <louis () openoffice ! org>
Date:       2003-01-31 7:18:30

on 1/30/03 6:10 PM, anousak@muanglao.com at anousak@muanglao.com wrote:

> Luis,
>
> Thank you very much for your kind reply. I will look into this closely.
> I know that Thai has done this already, and Lao language is very close
> the Thai. I also noticed that Thai OpenOffice has got some grant from
> SUN and the Government. Not sure what avenues we have for Lao. Any
> suggestions?

Hm. Not really. There are some obvious possibilities:
1. contact universities. OpenOffice.org and Open Source are excellent ways
to train students and to save real money
2. contact a corporation that would benefit from having a free software
application (as opposed to spending money on every higher licenses)
3. contact the OECD or its branches; I think the UN has been slowly
advocating open source. The proposal may be easier to do than one would
think.  OpenOffice.org is right now poised to take off.

Further, if Lao is that close to Thai, then I might suggest you work with
them--hardly a radical suggestion.
But if your resources are constrained, then it will allow you to utilize
them more effectively.  You can form groups within l10n working on the
localization...

And, you can form, once the localization has been accomplished, Native-Lang
groups.  These provide support, information, and resources in a groups
native language.  I have been, off and on, trying to organize one with the
Thai groups.

Best,
Louis