List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: StarOffice OS X story
From:       Simon Brouwer <simon.oo.o () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2002-07-28 13:04:25

Hi Ed, all,

>  Is Sun trying to F the OS X porters here and not even getting the name
right?
>  Do we need to consider the possibility that this "open source"
initiative from Sun
>  is  load of BS and they're just as willing to turn around and close
source our
> efforts to completion?

Of course, other than a group of volunteers, Sun is a company and needs to
make a profit. Therefore, Sun's plans with SO may not completely overlap
with those of the  community. On the other hand, the help and the good will
of the community is needed to make SO/OOo a success. If Sun didn't realize
this, for what reason was it open sourced? The only viable approach
involves keeping the community motivated.

So in my opinion Sun should:
1) show appreciation for initiatives that are useful not only for OOo but
also for SO (such as MAC OS X porting project)
2) if such an initiative is internally followed up, invite the know-how and
cooperation of the initiators (IIRC, the Danish localization of Star Office
was done by a Sun team without any consideration of, and without informing,
the volunteer Danish localization project of OOo. That is not the way to go).
3) if at all possible, give back the results to the community. If Apple is
the problem, twist their arm.

In any case, I think it would be the decent thing if Sun contacted the Mac
OS X porting project people to explain what plans they have exactly for SO
on OS X.

Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.

>>> http://lang.openoffice.org/nl <<<