List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Re: StarOffice OS X story
From:       Sander Vesik <Sander.Vesik () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2002-07-27 20:04:14

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Ed Peterlin wrote:

> Check this story out if you haven't already:
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-946714.html
>
> Is Sun trying to F the OS X porters here and not even getting the name
> right?  Do we need to consider the possibility that this "open source"
> initiative from Sun is a load of BS and they're just as willing to
> turn around and close source our efforts to completion?

I honestly think this is not the case (or intention). For a start, keeping
the changes to the modules that presently live on OpenOffice.org
propritary would be prohibitively expensive workwise. Also the 'java
based' part of the comments just fails to make sense.

> Below you'll find my response to the reporter who posted this story.
> I highly suggest that this time is crucial for determining whether
> Sun's definition of "open source" translates into "free labor" from
> the community.

As far as people involved in OpenOffice.org are concerned the answer is
definately "NO". If it is all nopt just a mix of misunderstanding and
miscommunication we will be very hardly hit - and it does not feel like a
good perspective at all.

> regards,
> ed

	Sander