List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Database for OpenOffice
From:       Sander Vesik <Sander.Vesik () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2002-03-16 20:14:59

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 jens.oo@idealo.com wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> > > After reading through several parts of the OpenOffice site, it appears
> that
> > > OpenOffice is not going to include the Adabas database engine in its work
> > > (due to copyrights of Software AG).  Has anyone checked into using SAPDB
> in
> > > the OpenOffice distro?  SAPDB was originally Adabas code that SAP
> purchased
> > > from Software AG and then open sourced.
>
> I once asked the same question and got the answer that yes, they looked
> at SAPDB. The main reason why it was dismissed were (if I remember
> correctly):
>
> 1. SAPDB is very resource hungry (hard disk, ram), more then acceptable
> for the small needs of the usual end user.

It is almost as big (source code wise) as the whole of OOo if not bigger,
so I'm not sure how to go about including it. I'm not sure bundling
something considerbaly smaller yet still quite full featured like
PostgresQL (licence was also a plus last I looked) would in practice
considearbly dis-advantage somebody. But I'd personaly much rather have it
be something even smaller like say hsqldb and just integrate it really
well...

> 2. it does not work on Win98
>
> > > Greg Miller
>
> Jens-Uwe
>
> PS:
> http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=122539&listName=discuss

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding