List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] Database for OpenOffice
From:       jens.oo () idealo ! com
Date:       2002-03-16 18:01:20

Hello Greg,

> > After reading through several parts of the OpenOffice site, it appears
that
> > OpenOffice is not going to include the Adabas database engine in its work
> > (due to copyrights of Software AG).  Has anyone checked into using SAPDB
in
> > the OpenOffice distro?  SAPDB was originally Adabas code that SAP
purchased
> > from Software AG and then open sourced.

I once asked the same question and got the answer that yes, they looked
at SAPDB. The main reason why it was dismissed were (if I remember
correctly):

1. SAPDB is very resource hungry (hard disk, ram), more then acceptable
for the small needs of the usual end user.
2. it does not work on Win98

> > Greg Miller

Jens-Uwe

PS: