List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opennms-discuss] Discovering devices without IP address
From:       Giles Coochey <giles () coochey ! net>
Date:       2012-03-30 14:26:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 30/03/2012 02:01, John Blake wrote:
> Does it have a MAC address?
> Maybe you can find it that way.
>

> From:	Pedro Jimenez<pedrojg84@hotmail.com>
> To:	<opennms-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net>,
> Date:	03/29/2012 05:50 AM
> Subject:	[opennms-discuss] Discovering devices without IP address
>

> Hi all!
>
> Monitoring the network, I have found an issue I would like to check: there
> are some users that are connecting a Hub, so 3-4 PCs are connected to the
> "same" interface (well, in this particular case, I have found a single user
> connected to the Hub, and the Hub to the switch). If I list the nodes
> available, the Hub doesn´t appear, and if I enable Linkd and draw the
> topology, I can see:
>
> |NETWORK | ---------------- SWITCH -------------------- PC

If you are using Cisco switches which have the port security feature,
you can configure them to send a SNMP trap when more than x MAC
addresses register on a single port.

Hubs have no MAC addresses and un-managed switches don't either as far
as I'm aware.

--
Best Regards,

Giles Coochey
NetSecSpec Ltd
UK Mobile: +44 7983 877 438
Business Email: giles.coochey@netsecspec.co.uk
Email/MSN/Live Messenger: giles@coochey.net
Skype: gilescoochey

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]