List:       opennms-devel
Subject:    Re: [opennms-devel] ICMP/Root
From:       Les Mikesell <lesmikesell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-18 19:51:36

Benjamin Reed wrote:

>> I hit this problem many years ago and the solution we developed was to
>> create a separate executable that had root privilege.  So there was a
>> Java class, a native code .so/.dll and the root executable.  When Java
>> opened up an ICMP socket, the native code would fork the executable
>> which would open the raw socket and pass the descriptors back to the
>> native code running within the Java VM.
>
> Yeah, this has been something we've been meaning to do "someday" for
> quite some time, and have never had the opportunity to spend some
> quality time on it.
>
>> I am no C developer and just the thought of caring for this code and
>> porting it to other platforms gives me a headache.  But I am more than
>> happy to contribute it as a starting point for someone else to run
>> with.  It currently is compiled for Solaris/Intel, Redhat Linux/Intel
>> and Windows/Intel.  The Windows code is different in that it does not
>> require the separate executable.  It just opens the sockets.
>
> That would be awesome!  We would happily accept it and integrate it into
> JICMP.  Would you mind filling out a copy of the contributor agreement?
>
>   http://www.opennms.org/index.php/OCA

Any chance of gluing in a tcp 'half-open' test while you are in there?
That is, something that would send a SYN, but when it gets the ACK
response, sends a RST instead of completing the connection.  This tells
you that the service is accepting connections on the target port without
  actually making a connection - and making the application log it, etc.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com