List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Transitioning from slapd.conf to slapd.d, best practices for maintaining configuration comments?
From:       Howard Chu <hyc () symas ! com>
Date:       2023-11-16 0:22:28

Ben Poliakoff wrote:
> This is more of a practical question than a technical one, but it's prompted by a \
> technical change: I'm *very* **very** belatedly transitioning from flat file \
> slapd.conf config to slapd.d/OLC.
> With flat file configuration, it was straightforward to include text comments (e.g. \
> "# blah blah"), but as far as I know there isn't any sort of analog for comments, \
> when using slapd.d. Looking for any tips about how best to annotate slapd \
> configuration, in a slapd.d/olc world. Does anyone have a practice that they find \
> works  well for them? Do people just maintain separate documents/wiki pages/etc \
> that describe their servers' configs?

There's no real mechanism for commenting in the config itself. We could add optional \
"description" attributes to all of the config objectclasses, which would at least let \
you keep some information near the relevant locations, but it still wouldn't be the \
equivalent of line-by-line commenting.

--
  -- Howard Chu