List:       openldap-technical
Subject:    Re: Transitioning from slapd.conf to slapd.d, best practices for maintaining configuration comments?
From:       Souji Thenria <mail () souji-thenria ! net>
Date:       2023-11-16 0:15:23

On 11/15/23 18:58, Ben Poliakoff wrote:
> This is more of a practical question than a technical one, but it's
> prompted by a technical change: I'm *very* **very** belatedly
> transitioning from flat file slapd.conf config to slapd.d/OLC.
>
> With flat file configuration, it was straightforward to include text
> comments (e.g. "# blah blah"), but as far as I know there isn't any sort
> of analog for comments, when using slapd.d. Looking for any tips about
> how best to annotate slapd configuration, in a slapd.d/olc world. Does
> anyone have a practice that they find works  well for them? Do people
> just maintain separate documents/wiki pages/etc that describe their
> servers' configs?
>
> Ben

Hey Ben,

The most straightforward way would be to document the commands you ran
in chronological order in a text file/README or shell script.

At some point, I also tried to document all my steps for a setup in a
single README.md and update this file as the configuration changed.
However, I don't think this works too well. After some time, you may end
up with a incomplete documentation of the current setup, which might not
even work and is hard to debug.

In conclusion, I would recommend writing all the commands in a text file
or bash script, commenting on the changes with a date/time stamp and
what the purpose for that change was. With that, you would have a nice
chronology, and changes are easier to understand, even for others who
are not familiar with the setup.

Regards,
Souji

--