List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8293540: [Metrics] Incorrectly detected resource limits with additional cgroup fs mounts [v
From:       Severin Gehwolf <sgehwolf () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-09-29 12:11:25

> Similar issue to the hotspot change discussed in \
> https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8293472. The Java metrics implementation may \
> get the resource limits wrong if there are additional cgroup fs mounts. Apparently \
> that's more common than one might think. I've reproduced this with these existing \
> tests on cg v2:
>
> test/hotspot/jtreg/containers/docker/TestMemoryAwareness.java
> test/jdk/jdk/internal/platform/docker/TestDockerCpuMetrics.java
> test/jdk/jdk/internal/platform/docker/TestDockerMemoryMetrics.java
>

> I've also added `test/jdk/jdk/internal/platform/docker/TestDockerBasic.java` and \
> amended `test/jdk/jdk/internal/platform/cgroup/TestCgroupSubsystemFactory.java` \
> which unconditionally fails (irrespective of cgroup version in use). The fix is \
> fairly straight forward and is an extension which we already do for the `cpuset` \
> controller: Allow duplicates, and if there are any prefer those mounted at \
> `/sys/fs/cgroup`.
> Testing:
> - [x] fastdebug build on cgroups v2 and cgroups v1 (before and after the product \
>                 fix)
> - [x] added tests fail before, pass after the product fix.
> - [x] Some manual testing using `cgcreate` and `cgexec` on cg1 and cg2. Still pass. \
>
> - [x] GHA all pass.
>
> Please review! Many thanks in advance.

Severin Gehwolf has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or \
a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the \
merge/rebase. The pull request contains three additional commits since the last \
revision:

 - Merge branch 'master' into JDK-8293540-metrics-cgroups-mounts
 - Add comments/@bug in tests
 - 8293540: [Metrics] Potentially incorrectly detected resource limits with \
additional cgroup fs mounts

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/10248/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/10248/files/6061a475..3ecb3b9d

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=10248&range=04
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=10248&range=03-04

  Stats: 30991 lines in 1069 files changed: 14803 ins; 10731 del; 5457 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk pull/10248/head:pull/10248

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/10248