List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8294308: Allow dynamically choosing the MEMFLAGS of a type without ResourceObj [v3]
From:       Kim Barrett <kbarrett () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-09-29 11:10:10

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 13:41:06 GMT, Johan Sjölen <jsjolen@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Or you could have the class that requires dynamic mtFlag be declared with mtNone \
> > and assert in one place in AllocateHeap that mt != mtNone.  Actually that assert \
> > might already be there.  Can't really puzzle out what Kim's change does.
>
> I added a mtInvalid flag and did the assert. mtNone seems to be dealt with in some \
> code, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to use it as an invalid value. Regardless, \
> mtInvalid is a better name (for this purpose), so maybe we can change mtNone to \
> mtInvalid in the future?

A much simpler (in the sense of avoiding the use of advanced template features) \
alternative to the one I posted earlier.  (Thanks to @stefank for the suggestion.) \
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/compare/master...kimbarrett:openjdk-jdk:dynamic-memflags-specialize
 I dislike the current proposed approach of adding an optional MEMFLAGS argument to \
all the CHeapObj allocation functions.