List:       openjdk-serviceability-dev
Subject:    RE: RFC: Allowing existing file when writing a heap dump
From:       "Schmelter, Ralf" <ralf.schmelter () sap ! com>
Date:       2021-02-25 9:07:36

Hi Chris,

> Are you saying they are all pseudo files that
> already exist and can't be deleted, and therefore you currently
> can't dump the heap to them?

Yes, these are pseudo files and have to be created by special calls.
But you can open and write to them using the usual file APIs, so
No big changes are required in the heap dump code.

For domain sockets or named pipes you need another program
(like nc on Unix) which creates them and reads the output.

And I think this should not work be default, but only is requested
By the used via a flag or something.

Best regards,
Ralf