List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8274967: KeyCharacterCombinations for punctuation and symbols fail on non-US keyboards
From:       Andy Goryachev <angorya () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-10-31 22:09:10

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:21:30 GMT, Martin Fox <duke@openjdk.org> wrote:

> After finding the Window virtual key code for a character getKeyCodeForChar was \
> using a mapping table that only works correctly for U.S. English to retrieve the \
> Java key code. This caused getKeyCodeForChar to encode keys differently than the \
> original key event handling machinery.
> With this fix the Robot, getKeyCodeForChar, and the code that handles platform key \
> events all agree on how Windows VK codes should map to Java codes.
> The manual KeyboardTest app can be used to test this (tests/manual/events). Run the \
> tests by selecting "without keypad combinations" in the second dropdown. This will \
> use a Robot to test KeyCharacterCombinations excluding the numeric keypad (which is \
> a separate issue).

Typing \ and Shift-\  on French keyboard, getting

KeyEvent{type=KEY_PRESSED, character=, text=*, code=ASTERISK}
KeyEvent{type=KEY_TYPED, character=*, text=, code=UNDEFINED}
KeyEvent{type=KEY_RELEASED, character=, text=*, code=ASTERISK}

KeyEvent{type=KEY_PRESSED, character=, text=, code=SHIFT, shift}
KeyEvent{type=KEY_PRESSED, character=, text=*, code=ASTERISK, shift}
KeyEvent{type=KEY_TYPED, character= µ, text=, code=UNDEFINED, shift}
KeyEvent{type=KEY_RELEASED, character=, text=*, code=ASTERISK, shift}
KeyEvent{type=KEY_RELEASED, character=, text=, code=SHIFT}

is this expected?
(I am using Tools -> Keyboard Event Viewer in the Monkey Tester \
https://github.com/andy-goryachev-oracle/MonkeyTest )