List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    jfx21u open for JavaFX 21.0.1 backports
From:       Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth () oracle ! com>
Date:       2023-08-31 14:57:33

I just noticed that I didn't send this out. I thought I had sent this
over a month ago, but it was sitting in my Drafts folder.

Given where we are in the release cycle for the October release, plan to
get fixes for JavaFX 21.0.1 into jfx21u no later than Monday, September
11th.

All,

The jfx21u repo is now open for JavaFX 21.0.1 backports, with prior
approval. The general criteria is that we want to backport fixes for
regressions introduced in JavaFX 21, third-party library updates, and a
limited number of other important bug fixes. In most cases we'd like to
see the fix "bake" in the mainline for a while before being backported
to jfx21u.

To make the process of tracking the request and approval easier, we will
adopt a similar procedure for making the request and noting the approval
as is used by the JDK updates releases -- by using JBS labels to request
a backport and indicate approval or rejection.

Here is the procedure:

1. A developer makes the request by adding the "jfx21u-fix-request"
label to the main bug in JBS (not the backport record, even presuming
one exists), with a comment indicating that you would like to backport
it, along with a justification and risk assessment.

2. One of the JavaFX projects leads, either Johan Vos or myself, will
add a "jfx21u-fix-yes" label to approve or "jfx21u-fix-no" label to
reject the request, along with a comment. In either case, the
jfx21u-request label is left in place.

3. Once the bug has the "jfx21u-fix-yes" label, you can create the
backport PR for jfx21u.

NOTE: Only those fixes that will NOT be backported to the jfx21
stabilization branch are candidates for backporting to jfx21u. A
backport intended for the JavaFX 21 code line will go into either the
jfx21 branch or the jfx21u repo, not both.

Let Johan or me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

-- Kevin