List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8298728: Cells in VirtualFlow jump after resizing [v2]
From:       Andy Goryachev <angorya () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-12-23 17:28:54

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:49:13 GMT, Johan Vos <jvos@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > When recalculating sizes, we often don't want the current index and/or offset to \
> > change.
> > Allow to fix the index/offset when doing recalculations.
> >
> > Fix JDK-8298728
>
> Johan Vos has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit \
> since the last revision:
> move statements to new lines.
> Add another failing test, and a fix: when the cell that is positioned at the \
> "current index" is resized, we also need to modify the offset (wich is calculated \
> from the top of that cell to the start of the viewport).

Thank you for commenting, Johan.

Interesting.  Why would sizes change in #1 scenario, since there are no changes in \
the component width and the scroll bar state?  But I might disagree - it's the most \
natural case when pgup/pgdn results in the same state, as any text editor would \
demonstrate.  In fact, I have a similar problem with "If we want the position of the \
thumb constant," - I'd rather see the thumb reflecting reality as much as it could, \
so it is ok for it to jump, as long as the **selected cell** remains in the same \
position on screen.  It looks like the ticket talks about the "first cell" instead \
which would be an acceptable replacement.

As for #2 - it might be just me, I cannot translate these words into a scenario.  Are \
you saying that, for example, resizing and immediately issuing pgup/pgdn (via click \
on a scrollbar) would shift the viewport too far/not enough?  Or is there another \
scenario?  What are the exact steps that result in erroneous behavior, in human \
words?