List:       openjdk-macosx-port-dev
Subject:    Default heap memory size allocated with Java 7 on OSX
From:       Paul Taylor <paul_t100 () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2013-10-31 11:50:54

How does Java 7 decide on the max value of heap memory allocated (-Xmx)
if not specified on an OSX bundle, I've read the manual page and it gave
no indication. It seems to be allocated more than the default on Java 6
and I wonder if it varies with the memory available on the machine, that
would be very useful to me because my application is memory bound, but I
cannot set the default too high because then the application would fail
to run at all on lower specification machines.

Paul