List:       openjdk-jmx-dev
Subject:    Re: jmx-dev RFR: 8297794: Deprecate JMX Management Applets for Removal
From:       Daniel Fuchs <dfuchs () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-11-30 13:55:47

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 12:08:22 GMT, Kevin Walls <kevinw@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Deprecate the Java Management Extension (JMX) Management Applet (m-let) feature for \
> removal.
> This deprecation will have no impact on users of other JMX features, the JDK's \
> built-in instrumentation, or any of the observability tools.
> More details in bug, and CSR JDK-8297795

I have the same remark as Alan - I believe an `@deprecated ` text is needed in the \
API documentation of the public exported classes that are deprecated. At the minimum \
something like:

* @deprecated This class is deprecated for removal. There is no replacement.

I also see that you have chosen to add `@SuppressWarnings` in tests. Not sure what \
the rules are for the serviceability area - but usually it's fine to keep the \
deprecation warning in tests (that is: suppressing deprecation warnings in tests is \
usually optional).

src/java.management/share/classes/javax/management/loading/MLetObjectInputStream.java \
line 43:

> 41: class MLetObjectInputStream extends ObjectInputStream {
> 42:
> 43:     @SuppressWarnings("removal")

Shouldn't `MLetObjectInputStream` be deprecated for removal too? I mean - if MLet was \
removed - would we need to keep that class? If it were deprecated for removal too \
then I suspect that there would be no need to suppress the warning here (and below).

src/java.management/share/classes/javax/management/loading/MLetParser.java line 156:

> 154:      * Scan an html file for {@literal <mlet>} tags.
> 155:      */
> 156:     @SuppressWarnings("removal")

Same remark here. This class should probably be deprecated for removal too.