List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> JDK-8041679 Replace uses of StringBuffer with StringBuilder within th
From:       Paul Sandoz <paul.sandoz () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-05-20 6:45:05

On May 19, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Phil Race <philip.race@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 5/19/2014 12:50 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> > On 19/05/2014 07:53, Paul Sandoz wrote:
> > > If i don't have permission to push to the client repo (which might be likely) i \
> > > will need to hand over the patch to yourself or Sergey to commit. And i presume \
> > > this will have to be a separate issue.
> > If you do decide to split this then it will require creating a second issue JIRA \
> > to avoid running foul of jcheck when jdk/client eventually pushes to jdk/dev. I \
> > don't know how often jdk9/client integrates into jdk9/dev but it doesn't seem to \
> > be very frequent (hg incoming suggests there is currently about a month of \
> > changes backed up in jdk9/client but there may be issues to explain this).
> > For this specific case then it doesn't seem worth it, it would be much less \
> > effort to just push the lot to jdk9/dev. Clearly if there were substantive \
> > changes then it would be important to push the changes to the forest where they \
> > are most likely to get tested but it hardly seems worth it here. From what I can \
> > tell then Phil or others sync up jdk9/client regularly and that might be the most \
> > efficient way to get these changes into jdk9/client.
> The changes should go through client for the reasons I already gave.

IIUC these were the reasons you gave in a previous email on this thread:

"I would not push hotspot changes to client either. Also lots of files
are being updated in client and doing it this way will minimise merges ..."

I don't find either very convincing.

> No new permissions are needed but it will need a unique bug id.

Ok.

> FWIW integrations are intended to be bi-weekly but holidays interfered this time.

Why does it take so long?

Paul.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]