List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] FontConfig fails when optional system library is missing
From:       spoole () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com (Steve Poole)
Date:       2011-07-21 19:05:12

On 19/07/11 21:09, Mario Torre wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 19/07/2011 alle 21.12 +0200, Roman Kennke ha scritto:
>> IIRC, libfontconfig is also fairly standalone and portable, so when it's
>> not there, it shouldn't be too hard to compile it.
>>
>> A while ago I contemplated and started to implement fontconfig in pure
>> Java, which is not rocket science either, but then lost interest or time
>> or both.
>>
>> Cheers, Roman
>>
> Yep, and we've used fontconfig basically on all the funny platforms we
> supported at Aicas: if it works on VxWorks and OS9, you bet it works on
> AIX :)

It works on AIX -it  just not necessarily installed (it doesn't come
with AIX as standard but as an unsupported package).
Since the JDK code using fontconfig indicates that the presence of the
library is optional,  it seemed sensible to ensure
that the JDK worked with and without the library being present.

I'm happy to explore alternatives.  I don't like the idea of making the
presence of libfontconfig a prereq unless the java code
using it is modularised so I could use a different implementation that
didn't rely on the lib in the first place.

Maybe the 100% Java approach is the way to go?