List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder with OpenJDK
From:       omajid () redhat ! com (Omair Majid)
Date:       2011-07-21 18:22:00

Hi,

(CC'ing distro-pkg-dev as this looks like an IcedTea6 issue)

On 07/21/2011 11:58 AM, ml at logemann.org wrote:
> can anyone tell me the status of com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder
> with OpenJDK 7 ?

I will echo the thoughts of others: this is a legacy API. You should not
be using it when developing new applications. For existing projects
though, you may not have much choice.

> We tried running OpenJDK6 on Linux and werent able to use
> it since one project of ours use
> com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder.
>
> it seems that with OpenJDK6 this is an interface where the project expects
> it to be a class (or vice versa, dont know anymore).

IcedTea6 (which is what most Linux distributions package as OpenJDK6)
provides an implementation of com.sun.image.codec.jpeg*. It seems you
are running into specific bugs with that implementation. There have been
a number of fixes [1][2] recently to the com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.*
classes in IcedTea6. I would suggest that you build a recent version of
IcedTea6 from source (see [3] for details and please use the the
'bleeding-edge' version from http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea6),
and run the program with that. If you are still running into issues, you
might want to file specific bugs against IcedTea6 in the icedtea
bugzilla [4].

Thanks,
Omair

[1] http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea6/rev/8720a7df46e3