List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Understanding PiscesCache
From:       linuxhippy () gmail ! com (Clemens Eisserer)
Date:       2009-05-09 9:02:35

Hi,

I had a quick look at pisces to search for areas where I could work a
bit on performance.

1. )  I came across the fast-path in Renderer._endRendering() for
filling single rectangles, however I've a hard time understanding how
PiscesCache works.

I thought I could simply add the rectangle line-by-line, e.g:

> for(int i=y0; i <= y1; i++) {
>   cache.startRow(i, x0, x1);
> }

Which doesn't work ;)
I also tried adding an RLERun, with the length of x1-x0 after the
startRow, which didn't work either.
I don't seem to get how the cache is intended to work.

2.) What is the reason getTypicalAlpha() is disbled in PiscesTileGenerator?
Was it too slow to be useful, or didn't it work as expected?
I ask because this causes tons of unescessary mask-upload operations
for large antialiased areas.

Thank you in advance, Clemens