List:       openbsd-sparc
Subject:    Q: Upgrading to 2.8 via FTP from 2.7 CD or 2.8 floppy.fs
From:       EAguinaldo () aol ! com
Date:       2000-12-04 9:06:13

I am unable to perform an upgrade to OpenBSD 2.8 on my SPARCstation 2 (64MB RAM, \
4.3GB HD, etc.) using the Install or Upgrade option from the 2.7 CD-ROM and then \
selecting install via FTP from ftp.openbsd.org or any of its mirrors nor from \
creating a boot floppy using the "floppy28.fs" image d/l'd from ftp.openbsd.org and \
rawrite.exe from the 2.7 CD-ROM.

When I get to the step in the FTP install to select the directory on the ftp mirror \
and I enter "pub/OpenBSD/2.8/sparc" or the equivalent on the mirrors, the only file \
that shows up for selection is "bsd" and none of the *.tgz files are available to be \
selected even by explicitly entering the name, eg. "base28.tgz" even though the *.tgz \
files are visible using the "list" command once in the FTP directory. What's up with \
this?

After creating a boot floppy on a Windows 98 PC using the directions from \
install.sparc and the floppy28.fs image, I am unable to boot the floppy from the \
console with either "boot floppy bsd" or "boot /fd bsd" and get unable to read Sun \
disklabel errors.

I really would prefer to upgrade via FTP as I don't want to shell out another $30 for \
the CD's after getting 2.7 and my cable modem connection makes the FTP installs and \
building from ports pretty reasonable.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Looking for a process to follow to upgrade to \
2.8 from a 2.7 CD or some way to use or make a bootable floppy for 2.8.

Thanks in advance.

Tomas