List:       openbsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: powerpc64 backport to g5
From:       "Peter J. Philipp" <pjp () centroid ! eu>
Date:       2020-12-19 0:59:17

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 12:01:57PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > OK, that explanation makes sense to me.  Good I have something to work with
> > on the ofwboot64 stuff I did in 2018, I just have to bring it up to date and
> > then add FDT blob compiler, shouldn't be harder than constructing a DNS
> > packet :-).
>
> There is some code in sys/arch/arm64/stand/efiboot/fdt.c that can add
> nodes and properties to a tree, so you don't need to start from
> scratch here.

I have been toiling with this for the greater part of the week and I brought
the ofwboot64 code up to 6.8 status (without the FDT).  I have made some
announcement here:  https://centroid.eu/ppc/#20201218 .  I have some sysadmin
tasks to do at home which will take me into January and then I'll work on
putting a flattened device tree into this loader.

However I'm already dreaming in the clouds (could be a detriment), I wonder
if this work pays off and it works if I can get a IBM BladeCenter H with
these JS21 Blades for it.  I wonder if they are compatible and utilize
openfirmware in a way that ofwboot can be used.  If so that's really cool
as a build-farm for ports or something could be built with these (each unit
would have 16 GB RAM).  I found this on ebay...

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=131558745375&category=11211&pm=1&ds=0&t=1598358778000&ver=0

The possibility of getting such old hardware is exciting...

So anyhow back to coding in 2021...have a merry season all it's been a good
year!

-peter