List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    PATCHLEVEL and other nonsense
From:       Marc Espie <espie () nerim ! net>
Date:       2010-05-31 17:11:20

I'm busy fixing some nitpickings with a port, and then I see that
all MULTI_PACKAGES are using a PATCHLEVEL thingy.

While simple, this is a major inconvenience to users: all packages in
a multi-packages setting have an independent life. Putting everything
under the same p* number means that anytime a porter tweaks anything inside
a given package *USERS HAVE TO UPDATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE MULTIPACKAGES*
instead of only the one(s) affected.

It's not like it was complicated to put separate numbers of each multipackage,
nor to check with make show=PKGNAMES   that everything is alright.

So porters, please stop doing that...