List:       openbsd-ports
Subject:    Re: RFC#8 - bzip2
From:       Ed White <ed () overminder ! com>
Date:       2003-03-04 18:08:41

Hi,

I received various responses and, in the end, it seems that bzip2 will not be
included in the src tree. Obviously this mean that bzip2 distfiles format
will be only the last choice for ports maintainers.

However, I'm writing this last mail to let you read a post on nmap ml that
accidentally talked about it:
(http://lists.insecure.org/lists/nmap-hackers/2003/Jan-Mar/0002.html)

[...]

This may be the last gzip release, as I am considering moving to .tar.bz2
(I've been wanting to do this for many years, actually).
Most free operating systems now include bzip2, and recent versions of tar
handle it with the 'j' flag. It compresses the Nmap tarball to an impressive
20% smaller than gzip:

- -rw------- 1 fyodor fyodor 1078771 Feb 26 13:05 nmap-3.15BETA2.tar.gz
- -rw------- 1 fyodor fyodor 869990 Feb 26 13:04 nmap-3.15BETA2.tar.bz2

If this switch would cause you problems, please let me know. If you want to
try out the .bz2 of this release, grab it from
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-3.15BETA2.tar.bz2 .

[...]

Other ports distfiles, like KDE, are available _only_ compressed with bzip2.
Thanks all.

	Ed

# RFC @ hacking.openbsd.it