List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: MicroBSD has Shut Down
From:       Richard Welty <rwelty () averillpark ! net>
Date:       2003-02-21 21:45:07

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:29:41 -0500 Dave Feustel <dfeustel@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I read several years ago something to the effect that if a company
> does not defend a trademark from infringement, that the trademark
> itself can be lost. I suspect that failure to defend copyright against
> infringement might well result in loss of the copyright.

i am not a lawyer -- but then, neither are you.

i have researched this, and spent some quality time with IPR lawyers, and
within the US at least, trademark law and copyright law function a bit
differently. i suggest that making assumptions about how one works based on
how the other works is a Really Bad Idea.

if you need advice on IPR law, get it from an IPR lawyer, not from an
internet mailing list.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net