List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Security ad Reliability advisories
From:       Gunnar Wolf <gwolf () campus ! iztacala ! unam ! mx>
Date:       2002-08-28 19:19:54

> > Did you  receive all  the advisories  for OpenBSD  3.1?? I don't
> > think so.  There are currently 14 advisories for OpenBSD 3.1 and
> > most of them are missed.
>
> Ah, here  we have something we  can work with. You want  to see an
> errata@openbsd.org list that  tells you of each  change to -STABLE
> worthy of being described on /errata.html.
>
> If Theo et al. think it's worth their while to create such a list,
> I'll probably subscribe to it.
>
> Until they do so, if you want a low-impact way of getting the same
> result would  be to do a  ``cvs co www/errata.html'' and  then put
> ``cvs up www/errata.html'' in a cron job. You'll get an email when
> it changes.   More sophisticated tricks  are possible with  CVS if
> you want.

I agree with Gerardo on this one - In fact, we were just talking about it
in another mailing list. This came up as I announced a new version of my
automatic OpenBSD patcher, Tepatche (http://www.gwolf.cx/soft/tepatche).
Every Tepatche user's system will regularly poll the FTP server they
design (probably ftp.openbsd.org), probably daily, probably even more
often. If I am optimistic enough, I see hundreds or thousands of user
benefitting from my program - Connecting every day to ftp.openbsd.org just
to check what has happened there.

If we got a easy to identify mail alerting this program that there is a
new patch ready, we would avoid all this polling. Maybe I'd configure my
Tepatche to poll every week, just in case the mail got lost, but we'd save
many bits the effort from moving all the way from Canada to every place in
the world.

> As  for  worrying about  unnecessary  traffic...if  it's not  your
> traffic, why worry? I can assure you  that nobody who pays for the
> traffic is  worrying about  it or else  they'd be  doing something
> about it. Do  you worry that I'm  getting a few percent  worse gas
> mileage because my car is due for a tuneup?

Well... No, but if we are talking about the comunitary bus, and the gas
comes from our taxes/donations... I would :)

I might not be an OBSD developer. I might even like better Debian's way of
doing things. But anyway, OBSD is a project I'm at least slightly involved
in.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118