List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: building binary packages
From:       Saad Kadhi <bsdguy () docisland ! org>
Date:       2001-12-31 18:08:22

On Mon, 2001-12-31 at 17:21, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> I have already checked the packages manpage and it didn't have what I was
> looking for.  It seemed to talk more about installing packages, but not
> about building them.
>
> I have been in touch with a software company and have suggested that they
> should offer binaries for OpenBSD/x86.  They have taken this request
> seriously and will try it if I provide shell access to one of my hosts.  I'd
> like to help them out a bit more by doing some homework on how to build
> packages on OpenBSD.  Is there another place I should be looking for this
> documentation?
>
> I'm also going to try to get them to build OpenBSD m68k and ppc packages
> while they are at it, just because I've got the hosts to throw at this.
>
> Any pointers from package maintainers would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Though I am no package maintainer, I've noticed that package building is
tightly related to the ports collection. Under each port skeleton,
you'll find a pkg directory. it contains a DESCR & a PLIST that
describes the package. poking around some more, all this fits into the
ports collection framework and particularly
/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk. So my guess is that if you
follow the guidelines to make a port, you'll end up building a package
in the process of "make install". this will automatically create a
package in /usr/ports/packages that you can distribute. Or better,
distribute the port (but then you will probably need to disclose the
source).

HTH

--
/Saad --  [bsdguy@docisland.org]