List:       open1x-xsupplicant
Subject:    Re: [Open1x-xsupplicant] Resolution for Xsupplicant 1.2.8 and
From:       Terry Simons <galimore () mac ! com>
Date:       2008-01-30 21:46:17

Hi Renato,

I already made the necessary patches in HEAD to provide a --with-old-
iwlib option. ;)

Chris' inclination was to rip that code out too, but it was a really
small change, an who knows if people in the community are using it.

I think it's safe to call it deprecated, and yank it out after the
next major release.

- Terry

On Jan 30, 2008, at 8:33 AM, seventh guardian wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008 8:50 AM, Terry Simons <galimore@mac.com> wrote:
>> Hi Renato,
> Hey Terry,
>
>> I've applied your patch.
>>
>> I also put AC_DEFINE(NEW_IWLIB) directly in the configure.ac, and
>> verified that things build correctly in Ubuntu 7.10.
>>
>> I haven't yet tested Slackware, but maybe I'll do that before bed. ;)
>>
>> I was thinking that maybe a better way to deal with this would be for
>> us to default to using the newer IWLIB calls, and provide a --with-
>> old-
>> iwlib option for the configure script that could set OLD_IWLIB or
>> something instead, to allow for backwards compatibility.  It seems
>> like that might be a better option that fighting with the automatic
>> detection, especially since it's unlikely that many people will want/
>> need to use the older wireless calls.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I would prefer just removing the support for older iwlib, but I tend
> to be a bit radical on this regard ;) So I guess it is a sane idea to
> leave the support around for now.
>
> I'm not up to date with open1x development, but I guess I can try to
> update myself ;)
>
> Cheers,
>  Renato
>
>> - Terry
>>
>> On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:22 PM, seventh guardian wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/24/07, seventh guardian <seventhguardian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I believe my patch has a problem: I've stripped the test for the
>>> iwlib.h version, so it assumes we have an old version (which we
>>> don't), and breaks.
>>>
>>> To force the use of the newer iwlib.h functions without changing the
>>> code just put AC_DEFINE(NEW_IWLIB) on the configure.ac. This is a
>>> temporary workaround to see if it works on slackware. If it does
>>> then
>>> I'll change thins accordingly to what gets decided.
>>>
>>> So we have two choices: leave the test, allowing it to compile on
>>> older versions of the wireless-tools (<=v26), but possibly having
>>> the
>>> linux/if.h vs net/if.h problem, or require >wireless-tools-v26,