List:       ntp-hackers
Subject:    Re: [ntp:hackers] GSOC: Logging requests/suggestions
From:       tglassey <tglassey () glassey ! com>
Date:       2009-06-30 22:04:04

Hal Murray wrote:
> I use a separate log file for stuff from ntpd.
>   logfile /var/log/ntpd.log
> I'd like the filegen stuff to work on that and/or for ntpd to cooperate with
> logrotate.

It can now - you just have to have pre- and post- rotate commands
defined to insure restart and resynchronization.
> I'd like the start/stop messages to be duplicated in the normal syslog and
> the log file.  In particular the startup message has the version info.

Agreed.
> Actually, there is probably a whole set of "stop" messages that should be
> duplicated.  I'm thinking of the fatal errors that crash the system.

Sure...
> There is a startup transient.  Logging goes to syslog until it reads enough
> of the config file to find the logfile command.  Here is a sample:
>   ntpd 4.2.5p183@1.1639 Tue Jun 23 21:07:11 UTC 2009 (79)
>   proto: precision = 0.927 usec
>   Listening on interface #0 wildcard, 0.0.0.0#123 Disabled
>   Listening on interface #1 lo, 127.0.0.1#123 Enabled
>   Listening on interface #2 eth0, 192.168.1.5#123 Enabled
>   Listening on routing socket on fd #19 for interface updates
>   logging to file /var/log/ntpd.log
>
> I'd like all but the first and last lines moved to the logfile.  That is the
> only thing that should show up in syslog would be:
>   start (with version info)
>   logging to ...
>   stop

Depending on the level of logging selected. Some processes like storing
NTP messages to MySQL for instance should be properly logged. Same with
the selection and access of the KEYS Files for any key related responses.

> The command line should probably get logged.
yes I agree.