List:       ntp-hackers
Subject:    [ntp:hackers] GSOC: More logging requests
From:       Hal Murray <hmurray () megapathdsl ! net>
Date:       2009-06-25 0:16:46

I'm talking about clockstats now rather than syslog.

I'm using the NMEA driver as an example because I'm familiar with it.  Other
drivers probably have similar opportunities.

The NMEA driver gets a line of input every second.  Currently, it logs the
next one after it gets polled which is normally every 64 seconds.  That
mostly works out OK, but often I'd like more info.

Each line contains a good/bad flag.  With normal logging, I only get to see
the last sample.  How many of the last 64 were good?

One option would be a flag to log everything.

Another option would be to put everything into shared memory where another
program could grab whatever it wants.

Another option would be to count the good and bad lines and print those
counts by appending them to the next line that gets logged.  But there won't
be a next line if the cable has been unplugged so you have to handle the
no-input case too.

NMEA has an interesting quirk in that you can setup most of them to give you
more info than you need for just timekeeping.  The log-everything and/or
shared memory could work well for that.  In this case, "everything" has two
meanings: all types of NMEA sentances vs all of a particular type (rather
than just one per poll interval).  So we probably want 2 flags.