List:       nsbasic-palm
Subject:    [nsbasic-palm] Re: slight OT-Palm OS 6.x
From:       "Tim Markoski" <tmarkoski () sbcglobal ! net>
Date:       2004-10-29 17:55:03

--- In nsbasic-palm@yahoogroups.com, David Orriss Jr <dave@d...> wrote:
> Tim Markoski wrote:
>
> >--- In nsbasic-palm@yahoogroups.com, David Orriss Jr <dave@d...> wrote:
> >

> >>So here is PalmSource with PalmOS 6.1.. and 6.0 never even got
used by
> >>vendors.  Have any vendors announced *any* intention to use OS 6?  I
> >>mean.. I don't even see anything from PalnOne about an OS 6 device...
> >>
> >>I'm wondering if this is the sign of things getting worse for Palm..
> >>

> >Things have been getting better for Palm.
> >
> >Keep in mind that Palm Corp split off the Software and Hardware
> >divisions into two completely separate entities PalmSource and PalmOne.
> >

> I know that.  I'm very aware of what the Palm Co's are up to at the
> moment.. :)
>
> >It will still be a while before you see new hardware but it will be
> >from PalmOne.
> >A PalmOS PDA that is capable of multi-tasking will dominate the market
> >if they can get it there in a reasonable amount of time.
> >
> >Sony is no longer in the PDA business.
> >

> Sadly this is true.  But even then there are NO OS 6 devices on the
> market.  And I don't think this does well for PalmSource.  Put Sony
> aside, even PalmONE hasn't announced an OS 6 device...

I mentioned Sony because their custom version of the PalmOS should
have given PalmSource a lot of ideas about creating a UI that is
pleasing to the eye.

Keep in mind that OS6 is essentially a re-write for a whole host of
reasons. Multi-Tasking being the lion's share of that.
OS6 is not simply an enhancment of the existing OS.

PalmOne is in fact currently testing hardware prototypes.
That said it will probably be at least 6 months before we see such a
device.

It's really sad to see that PalmOne has all but abandoned the Serial
Port in it's current lineup.

Complete Searchable Archive:
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=nsbasic-palm&r=1&w=2

Shortcut URL to this page: